Aam Sole (Fish with Green Mango)
In Bengal, we use what is known as 'sole' fish. It is somewhat like 'Seer' fish.
Sole or seer fish - 750g
Small green mangoes - 2
Mustard oil - ¼ cup
Salt - to taste
Turmeric - 1tsp
Panch phoran - 1½ tsp
Sugar - 1tbsp
1. Discard the skin and bones of the fish and cut it into chunks. Or, get the fish seller to do it for you.
2. Peel the mangoes and cut into slivers. Roast and powder I teaspoon of panch phoran.
3. Heat the oil in a karahi till it starts smoking. Smear the fish with ½ a teaspoon salt and ½ a teaspoon of turmeric. Add to the hot oil and fry lightly. Set aside.
4. Temper the oil left in karahi with the rest of the panch phoran.
5. When the spices pop add the mango pieces and salt. Stir for one minute.
6. Add the turmeric and fish. Fry for another 2 minutes carefully so as not to break the fish.
7. Add sugar and one cup of water. Allow it to cook for 10 minutes.
8. When the oil starts to float on top, sprinkle the powdered panch phoran and remove.
9. Serve with rice.
Bangla Ranna: An Introduction to Bengali Cuisine: Satarupa Banerjee
Publisher: Orient Longman