Sweet potatoes- 2 kg
Flour - 2 tbsp
Khoya - 150 g
Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
Sugar - 2 cups
Water - 1 cup
Ghee or refined oil - for deep frying
1. Boil and peel the sweet potatoes. Mash well, discarding fibres, if any.
2. Add the flour and knead into a smooth dough. Divide it into 24 portions.
3. Heat 1 teaspoon of ghee in a karahi. Add the grated khoya and stir fry till light brown.
4. Add the powdered cardamom and remove. Divide into 24 parts.
5. Take one part of sweet potato, fill with one part of khoya, and roll it into a smooth ball. Prepare all other balls the same way.
6. Boil the sugar and water together till the syrup reaches a one-thread consistency. Keep aside.
7. Heat enough ghee or refined oil in a karahi for deep frying.
8. Fry the sweet potato balls, a few at a time, over a low medium heat till golden
9. Drop them in the sugar syrup and keep overnight.
10. These sweet potato gulab jamuns are very soft, so handle them carefully.
Bangla Ranna: An Introduction to Bengali Cuisine: Satarupa Banerjee
Publisher: Orient Longman