Begun Pora is a very tasty and strongly flavoured Bengali cuisine made of eggplant. Begun pora is an authentic preparation eaten in Bengal as part of everyday meal. It is healthy, tasty and simple. This dish is very similar to Baigan ka Bharta but not same. It is an easy fix for dinner with rotis.
Begun/Brinjal/eggplant – 1 big
Garlic – 3 flakes
Onion- 1 big (chopped)
Tomato – 1 medium (chopped)
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Salt – to taste
Mustard oil – 2 tbsp
1. Make a slit in the brinjal after washing and place the garlic flakes in this slit at the same time ensuring that the garlic doesn’t fall out.
2. Now roast the brinjal on a jaali/ wire rack on the stove flame till the brinjal’s skin burns out and turns completely black on all sides.Remove from heat and once it cools a bit carefully peel off the burned skin.
3. Then mash the brinjal pulp along with the garlic flakes inside.
4. Heat mustard oil in a pan and add onions to it. Sauté till they turn lightly brownish in colour.
5. To this add the tomatoes and sauté for 3 minutes. To this add turmeric powder and again sauté for 2 minutes.
6. Now add the mashed brinjal pulp to it and mix well.
7. Check seasoning and serve with roti or rice.