1 litre Milk for chana
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp semolina or sooji
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
1 tsp rose water
Oil, for deep frying
1. Boil the milk on medium heat in a heavy bottomed pam.
2. Add in the lemon juice and stir mixture continuously till it becomes curdled.
3. Drain the curdled milk through a muslin cloth.
4. Wash the chana under running water, to remove the lemony taste.
5. Squeeze out all the excel water out of the chanar.
6. Transfer the chana in a bowl.
7. Add in the semolina.
8. Knead the chanar-semolina mixture, till it acquires a doughy consistency.
9. Make 16 to 20 equal sized balls from the dough.
10. Shape each dough ball to a rectangle shape with the help of your palm.
11. Heat the oil to 180°C, in a deep fryer.
12. Fry all the chana rectangles, a few at a time, in the oil, till golden brown on both sides.
13. Keep aside the fried chana rectangles.
14. Boil the water and sugar in a pan to make the sugar syrup.
15. Cook for approx 5-6 minutes, stirring continuously, till 1 string consistency is reached.
16. Remove the sugar syrup from heat.
17. Add in the rose water.
18. Mix well.
19. Dip the fried chana rectangles in the sugar syrup.
20. chanar Gaja’s are ready to be served.
21. Serve warm.