It is a traditional Bengali recipe prepared with yogurt and mustard seeds. It is not at all spicy dish but a bit creamy preparation.
Ilish or Hilsa
½ cup Yogurt
2-3 tbsp Mustard Paste
½ tsp Turmeric Powder
Mustard Oil (Preferred, otherwise any other oil would even do)
½ tsp Kalo Jeera (Kalonji Seeds)
3-4 Green Chillies
1. Clean the hilsa pieces and pat dry them. Season them with salt and turmeric powder.
2. Now heat Mustard Oil in a wok, and slowly put the fish pieces one by one and fry them lightly. Remove the fish pieces after they are fried and keep the oil aside. (We Bengali’s love this oil with plain rice.)
3. In a bowl mix the yogurt and the mustard paste, add the turmeric powder. Add some fresh oil to the wok and temper with the Kalo Jeera seeds and let them splutter.
4. Turn the heat to low and add the yogurt and mustard paste; the green chillies.
4. As the oil starts separating, add the fish, salt and a cup of water, cover and cook for sometime. Serve with hot Basmati Rice.
5. Garnish with a few drops of fresh mustard oil and chopped cilantro and enjoy the Bengali Delicacy.