Fish roll is a popular roadside snacks in Kolkata. These roll are made with fish mixed with boiled potato, onion, ginger-garlic paste, chilies and some spice mix and then either pan fried or deep fried. Fish Roll enjoyed with your loved ones over a cup of evening tea or coffee. It also acts as a finger food in a cocktail party with some spicy dip of your choice.
Rui/ Katla fish - 500 gm
Boiled potato - 2, small
Onion - 1, big, finely chopped
Ginger-garlic paste - 2 tbsp
Green chilli - 2, chopped
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Roasted cumin-coriander powder - 1 tbsp
Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
Besan - 3-4 tbsp
Breadcrumbs - 1 cup
Canola oil - 1 tbsp
Refine oil for deep frying
1. Clean the fish pieces and boiled with salt for 10 mins. Let it cool.
2. Mash the steamed fish and carefully removed the bones of fish. Mash well with boiled potato.
3. Heat canola oil in kadai add chopped onion, saute for a minute. Then add ginger-garlic paste, chopped chilli, cook for 2 mins.
4. Add all spice powder and fish mix, cook well until raw smell is gone.
5. Sprinkle garam masala powder just before taking the mashed mix off the flame. Mix well again. Let cool the mixture.
6. Make a thin batter with besan and water. Make small roll shape with the mixture. The size and shape depends on individual choice.
7. Dip the rolls in the batter and roll them in bread crumbs.
8. Repeat the process. So the fish rolls coated twice with bread crumbs.
9. Heat oil in a pan. Deep fry till the rolls are golden brown. Remove the heat and keep on paper towel to drain excess oil before serving.
Serve with tomato ketchup and onion rings.