A spicy lamb curry with the distinctive taste of it main ingredient gongura or sorrel leaves
1/2 kg lamb meat, cleaned and cut into pieces
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
10 cloves of garlic
1/2 inch piece of ginger
For the curry
3 tblsp cooking oil
4 cloves (laung)
4 whole green cardamoms (hari ilaichi)
2 bay leaves
1 large cinnamon stick
200 g gongura leaves
1 large onion thinly chopped
1 stem large curry leaves
1. Boil the mutton and ginger garlic with some salt in a pressure cooker.
2. Fish out the ginger garlic and make a paste of it and keep aside.
3. Now in a pan heat oil and add all the whole spices.
4. Once they start spluttering, add the ginger garlic paste, green chilies and then the onions.
5. Saut till it becomes pink in color and then add the gongura leaves, curry leaves and all the ground spices and salt.
6. Saut till the oil is separated from the mixture.
7. Now add the meat pieces and saut for five minutes so that they get well wrapped with the spices paste.
8. Then add water for curry and boil till it thickens
9. Garnish with fresh coriander or mint leaves and serve with rice.