For the papdi chaat
24 flat crisp papdis/puris/flour crispies
250 gms cold smoothened curd/yogurt
1 large potato, boiled and chopped
2 cups boiled chickpeas/kabuli chana/garbanzo beans
1 onion finely chopped (optional)
1 tomato finely chopped (optional)
½ cup chopped coriander leaves
1 cup mint coriander chutney
1 cup tamarind dates chutney
1-2 tsp red chili powder
1-2 tsp cumin powder
1-2 tsp chaat masala
1-2 tsp black salt/rock salt or common salt
1 tbsp lime juice (optional)
1 cup sev (optional)
For the spicy green mint and coriander chutney
1 cup chopped mint leaves/pudina
½ cup chopped coriander leaves/dhania
1 green chili, chopped
1-2 tsp lemon juice (preserves the green color of the chutney)
For the sweet tamarind dates chutney:
½ cup tamarind/imli
½ cup seedless dates
½ cup jaggery/gur
½ tsp dry ginger powder/saunth
1 tsp coriander powder/dhania powder
1 tsp cumin powder/jeera powder
½ tsp red chili powder (optional)
2 cups water
1. Cooking the chickpeas: If you want to add chickpeas to the papdi chaat then some effort is needed. This is if you don't want to use canned chickpeas you need to soak the chickpeas in enough water overnight or for a good 6-7 hours. then cook or pressure-cook the chickpeas with water and salt/black salt till it is completely cooked.
2. Making the green mint coriander chutney: Blend all the ingredients with very little water to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
3. Making the sweet tamarind dates chutney: Boil the tamarind and dates in water. When they become soft add the jaggery and the spice powders and salt. Cook further till the jaggery melts.
4. Switch off the burner and let the mixture cool.
5. Grind the chutney mixture to a smooth paste. Sieve the chutney through a strainer. Add more salt if needed. If the chutney becomes too thick add some water to liquidize it. Sprinkle some chaat masala and red chili powder on it, if you want at this stage.
6. Top these with cold yogurt/curd as much as you want. Top it up with the green chutney as much as you want and then with the sweet chutney as much as you want sprinkle some chaat masala, red chili powder, cumin powder and black salt.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves. sprinkle sev on top and this step is also optional. Add a dash of lemon juice to the papri chaat if you want. Serve papri chaat immediately.