"Aloor Chop" Or Potato fritters is Bengal's most popular street snacks. This "Aloor Chop" serves with Puffed Rice Or "Muri" & Tea. Evening snacks take a very important part in "Bengali Adda". And the most popular evening snacks is "Tele bhaja". "Aloor Chop" is the famous Tele bhaja in Bengal. There are so many small shops on the Roads of Kolkata. Almost every turn of a road you can see a Tele bhaja shop. A very cheap but tasty, easy to available Street Food is Aloor Chop.
Potatoes boiled and mashed - 2 large
Ginger chopped -1 tablespoon
Garlic chopped - 1 tablespoon
Green chili chopped( adjust to your taste) -1 tablespoon
Roasted & ground cumin & coriander seed - 3 to 4 tablespoons
Turmeric - 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
For the Batter:
Besan - 1 cup
Rice flour - 1/2 cup
Baking powder -1/8 teaspoon
Red chili powder -1/2 teaspoon
Making The Potato Stuffing :
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan and fry chopped ginger, garlic, green chilies for few seconds.
2. Now add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric and mix well.
3. Now add the mashed potato, salt & 3-4 tablespoons roasted & ground cumin & coriander to the pan and make a mixture of potato.
4. Now let the mixture cool.
Make The batter :
1. In this mean time make a smooth but thick batter with besan, rice flour, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, red chili, little salt, Baking powder with little water at a time.
Frying The Chops :
2. Take each flatten potato mixture dip in batter and deep fry till nice golden brown.
Bangla Ranna: An Introduction to Bengali Cuisine: Satarupa Banerjee
Publisher: Orient Longman