Bhaja Muger Dal
Bhaja Muger Dal
In Vegetarian Meals Moong or Mug Dal takes an important part of the Meal. Bhaja mooger dal is a Bengali delicacy. The split moong dal is roasted in ghee/oil till it turns deep golden (not brown) and gives a nutty aroma. Sometimes it is dry roasted as well. It is then cooked and tempered with spices which only enhance the flavor. It makes the plain dal even better in taste and flavor. Moong Dal sometimes creates acidity. If it is lightly roasted, it will never make any Acidity.
Moong daal - 1/2 cup
Grated ginger - 1 teaspoon
Salt - As per taste
Sugar - As per taste
Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin Seed - 1/2 teaspoon
Cinnamon stick - 1
Cloves - 2/3
Green Cardamom pods - 2
Bay Leaves - 1
Whole red chili - 2
Vegetable Oil - 1 tablespoon
Desi Ghee Or clarified butter - 1 tablespoon
1. Heat a pan and roast the Moong dal till light brown and wash the roasted dal under cold water and boil the dal till the daal becomes soft and keep aside.
2. Take a pan and heat oil in it and add cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, cloves and bay leaf and fry till fragrance comes from the whole spices.
3. Now add the cumin and red chili and fry for 1 minute. Now add the grated ginger, turmeric, salt & sugar and fry for another 1& 1/2 minutes.
4. After 1& 1/2 minutes of frying them add the boiled dal and bring the dal to a nice boil for 5 minutes.
5. After 5 minutes off the stove and place the dal in a bowl and sprinkle some garam masala and ghee on the top of the cooked dal.
Serve it with White Rice and Fried Eggplant and Papad.