This recipe has been adopted from Bangladesh. In this recipe raw Ilish/Hilsha pieces are steamed in mustard along with turmeric, green chili, salt, mustard oil. This is an effortless cooking. Only marinate the fish and put into a non-stick pan and cook on low heat for 20-30 minutes. No need to stir or add something in between cooking. Hilsha Or Ilish is the most popular and tasty fish in Bengal. This fish is very aromatic itself. So we do not need much ingredient or a difficult recipe for this fish. Bhapa Ilish is a very popular dish in Bengal.
Hilsa (ilish) 1/2 kilogram
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
Green chillies 2-3
Ginger 1 inch piece
Mustard oil 3 tablespoons
1. Make a smooth paste of yellow mustard seeds, black mustard seeds, green chillies, ginger, salt & remaining turmeric powder.
2. Take a pan and place the fish in it and place the pan on the ring in the pressure cooker.
3. Spread paste liberally on fish.
4. Pour mustard oil on top.
5. Place ring in the pressure cooker.
Pour three cups of water into the cooker and place the pan with the fish on the ring.
6. Cover with lid and steam the fish for eight to ten minutes.
7. Serve hot.