500 grams of fish (preferably Ilish)
1 tablespoon of black mustard
1 tablespoon of yellow mustard
3-4 green chilies (if required deseeded) slit
2 tablespoons of coconut (coarsely ground)
2 tablespoons of thick coconut milk
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
salt to taste
2 tablespoons of oil (preferably mustard oil)
1. Wash the fish, drain on a colander and then marinate it with a little salt and turmeric powder for about 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile soak the black and yellow mustard in a little water for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes grind the soaked mustard along with 1 green chili, cumin seeds, turmeric powder and a little salt to a fine paste.
3. Mix the paste with the coarsely ground coconut and the coconut milk. Bring some water to a boil in a idli steamer.
4. Place the marinated fish in a steel tiffin box in a single layer (not one on top of the other), pour the ground paste and coconut milk mixture over the fish, add the remaining green chilies, drizzle some oil and close the lid of the box.
5. Place the box in the idli steamer and steam for about 15 minutes. Alternatively you may even bake in the fish in a preheated oven at 200 degrees C for about 15-18 minutes.
6. Remove from the steamer (or oven if used) and serve with steaming hot rice.