1 medium onion (chopped)
1-inch piece ginger (chopped)
2 green chillies (seeded and chopped)
300 gms fresh cottage cheese (Chana)
1 tbsp raisins
1 tbsp oil
¼ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp chilli powder
1 tsp sugar
salt to taste
8-10 large potatoes
2 eggs (beaten) with 1 tbsp flour
½ cup oil
1. Break up the chana with your hands.
2. Saute the raisins in oil. Heat the oil in a wok and fry the onions till just turning brown.
3. Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, the ginger and green chillies and stir fry over medium heat sprinkling with water until the spices turn colour.
4. Add chana and mix well. Add the sugar and salt. Add the raisins. Cook for 5 minutes and remove from fire.
Boil the potatoes in their jackets. Peel and mash them well and divide into 8 equal portions.
1. Shape a mashed potato portion into a cup in the palm of your hand and three-quarter fill with the chana filling.
2. Close up the cup and shape into a flattened egg shaped cutlet or into a bolster shaped croquette.
2. Coat in a mixture of eggs beaten with the flour and roll in browned breadcrumbs.
3. Leave to rest for at least half an hour before frying.
4. Heat the oil in a frying pan to smoking. Reduce heat and fry the chops to a golden brown, turning once.
Bangla Ranna: The Bengal Cookbook: Minakshee Das Gupta
Publisher: UBS Publisher's