Chingri Maacher Bhapa
Chingri Maacher Bhapa
"Chingri" Or "Prawn" is Bengali's all time favorite seafood. Prawn tastes so good, that you can use it any kind of dishes, such as, Rice dish, curries, daals, snacks, noodles etc. And Bengalis can cook several dishes with Prawns. We, Bengali can use this with any vegetables like, Cabbage, Bottle Gourd, Eggplant, Cauliflower, Pointed Gourd and all most in every vegetable curries. And expect this vegetables, prawns can be cooked as a main ingredient in many dishes, like Malaikari (coconut based gravy), Sorshe Bhape (steamed in mustard gravy), Biryani(spicey prawns cooked with Basmati rice), Buttery gravy and many more. Bengali Steamed Prawns is a very easy to make dish, Prawns steamed in Mustard & coconut sauce.
Medium size Prawns - 20
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Salt - 1/2+1/2 teaspoon
White Mustard Seeds - 3 tablespoons
Poppy Seeds - 3 tablespoons
Grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
Red Chili Powder - as per taste
Green chilies - 5 to 6
Sugar - 1/2 teaspoon
Mustard Oil - 3 to 4 tablespoons
1. Clean the Prawns very well and wash them, keep them aside. Now marinate the Prawns with 1/2 teaspoon salt & 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder and set aside for 15 minutes.
2. In the meantime, take a small spice grinder and make a smooth paste with Mustard seeds, Poppy seeds, 2-3 green chilies, some water & little salt (salt & chilies to remove the bitterness of the mustard seeds).
3. Pour the paste in a bowl, add grated coconut, sugar, salt if necessary, red chili powder & green chilies. Add the marinated Prawns in the mixture and keep aside for another 15 minutes.
4. Now preheat the oven to 350F Or 175C temperature.
5. Take an ovenproof baking bowl, apply some mustard oil inside the bowl, pour the Prawn mixture into the bowl.
6. Cover the bowl with an aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes, or till the Prawns are cooked and change color to orange.turn off the oven and remove the bowl from the oven but do not open the foil. Remove the foil just before serving.
If you do not have oven, you can still make this in tiffin box. Take a medium size stainless steel tiffin box, grease the tiffin box with mustard oil, pour the whole Prawn Mixture in the tiffin box, close the lid. Now boil some water in a large bowl, put the closed tiffin box in the boiling water, cook on medium heat for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat, let the curry stand for 10 minutes before open. After 10 minutes open the box and serve hot with "Steamed Rice".