Cooking Oil – 2 tbsp
Chicken – 900 gm.
Plain yogurt – Around 1.5 cups
Tomato – 2 medium, made into a puree
Onion – 3 medium, made into a paste
Bay Leaf – 3, small
Ginger paste – 2 tsp
Garlic paste or finely chopped – 3 tsp
Red dried chili – 4
Paprika + chili powder – 1.5 tsp each
Cumin powder – 1 tsp
Asafoetida (heeng) – 2 tsp
Garam Masala (Indian spice mix) – 1 to 2 tsp
Salt – to taste
1. Mix the chicken well with the yogurt, paprika and chili powder. Marinade for around 30 minutes to 1 hour.
2. Heat oil in a U-shaped pan or vessel. Add the bay leaves and dried red chili. Follow by adding the onion paste and tomato puree. Cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add the ginger and garlic paste and mix well for another 1 to 2 minutes. Next add the cumin powder and asafoetida. Cook for another 2 minutes or so until the spices are mixed well.
4. Add the marinated chicken to the above mixture. Mix all the ingredients properly.
5. Lower the heat and cover the pan. Cook the chicken for another 15 to 20 minutes with occasional stirring, until you have a thick consistency. Add salt for taste. Just before transferring to the serving dish, add the garam masala and mix well.
6. Serve hot with Indian bread or pulao