Middle flat pieces of rui fish ( called as "peti" in bengali) marinate with salt and turmeric powder
1 piece large onion, 3 cloves, garlic,1 small tomato, 3 green chili and 1/2 inch ginger (make a smooth paste together)
1 small onion (finely chopped))
2 and 1/2 table spoon unsweetened yogurt (whisk it nicely)
Coriander and cumin powder 1/2 tea spoon each
1/2 inch cinnamon stick,1 small bay leaf, 1 dried red chili
refined oil, salt, turmeric, sugar ( as required)
1. In a bowl take the paste of onion-garlic-ginger-tomato-chili, whisked yogurt, coriander and cumin powder, turmeric powder, salt and sugar and very little water. Mix it well.
2. Heat a pan and add the refined oil. And fry the fish (both side) very gently and lightly and keep them aside.
3. Add 1/2 inch cinnamon stick,1 small bay leaf, 1 dried red chili in the oil and let the nice aroma come.
4. Now sprinkle the chopped onion and fry it until soft and translucent.
5. Add the mixture of spices and yogurt and cook in medium flame.
6. Pour half cup water once oil starts separating from the spices.
7. Let it boil for few seconds and add the fish pieces to it.
8. Cover it nicely and let it be cooked in low flame for 5 mins.
9. Switch off the gas and add 1/2 spoon clarified butter (ghee) if u like.
10. Serve it with plain white steamed rice.