Grated carrots -2 cups
Milk -3/4 cup
Sugar -1/4 cup
Ghee - 2 1/2- 3 tbsp
Cashew nuts -10
Raisins -2 tbsp
Cardamom Powder - 1/4 tsp
1. Heat 1 1/2 tbsp of ghee and fry the raisins on low heat until they puff up. Remove and keep it aside. In the same pan, fry cashew nuts until golden brown. Remove from pan.
2. If required, add another tsp of ghee and fry the grated carrots on low flame stirring continuously for 3-4 minutes.
3. Add milk to the carrots and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
4. Once the pressure subsides, open the cooker and cook on high flame stirring continuously until all the milk evaporates.
5. Once the milk dries up, add sugar and continue to cook on medium flame until the mixture is thick.
6. Add a tbsp of ghee and cook for a further 3-4 minutes stirring continuously until the mixture thickens.
7. If using, you can add little grated unsweetened khoya at this stage and cook for few more seconds. I did not add.
8. Add cashew nuts, raisins, cardamom powder, mix well and cook for another 2-3 seconds.
9. Serve this delicious Gajarer Halua hot or warm. The whole process may be carried out in pressure cooker.
Bangla Ranna: The Bengal Cookbook: Minakshee Das Gupta
Publisher: UBS Publisher's