The influence of the British Raj is clearly seen in this recipe. The art of breading and frying was brought in by the British and the French. This is of course, a spicier version of the British cutlet. Kabiraji cutlet is a Bengali delicacy. Fish kabiraji cutlet recipe is a simple one to try at home.
Minced meat - ½ kg
Very finely-chopped onions - 2
Ginger paste - 1 tsp
Garlic paste - ½ tsp
Green chillies - 3
Gram flour or rice flour- 1 tbsp
Curd - 1 tbsp & Pepper powder - 1 tsp
Chilli powder roasted and - ½ tsp
powdered Cumin seeds
Garam masala powder - ½ tsp
Coriander leaves - ½ cup
Lime - 1 & Eggs - 3
Dry breadcrumbs - as needed
Salt - to taste
Refined oil - for frying
1. Mix the minced meat with all the ingredients except the eggs, breadcrumbs and oil. Also add lime juice. Keep it aside for an hour.
2. Mix once more using your hands. The mixture will now be somewhat soft. Mix lA cup of breadcrumbs or as needed and knead to make a dough.
3. Divide the mince into 12 portions. Form each portion into a ball, then flatten into a square shape, almost a centimeter thick.
4. Beat one egg with I tablespoon of water.
5. Dip each cutlet into the beaten egg, then coat with dry breadcrumbs.
6. Deep fry the cutlets in hot oil in a karahi till a light brown and keep aside.
7. Beat the other 2 eggs with a tablespoon of water and a pinch of salt till frothy.
For the Garnish:
8. Heat the oil once more on medium heat. Dip your fingers in the beaten egg and let the egg drip into the oil from your fingers.
9. The egg drops will at once curl up and form a lacy pattern. Do not let them brown. Take them out at once with a slotted spoon.
10. Fry all the egg this way and garnish the cutlets with it.
Bangla Ranna: An Introduction to Bengali Cuisine: Satarupa Banerjee
Publisher: Orient Longman