Bengali-style khichdi is aromatic and also laden with veggies and dal. In short, it is a flavor some and power-packed meal. The use of crushed spices instead of whole or powdered ones brings about a significant change in the recipe – you will notice it when you prepare the khichdi.
4 medium potatoes (cubed)
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 1/4 cup green gram split, (moong dal) roasted
250 gms cauliflower florets 250 gms.
6 cup water (approx)
salt to taste
6 green chillies
1 1/4 cup rice 1 1/4 cups
2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 cup peas
4 tblsp Ghee
2 Bay Leaves
3 Red Chillies Whole
4 Green Cardamoms
2 Cinnamon 1 inch pieces
1. Roast moong dal, cut cauliflower florets and slit green chillies.
2. Make a paste of turmeric powder, cumin powder and red chilli powder.
3. Wash rice and drain.
4. Take sufficient water in a big size pot and stir fry dal and rice in it.
5. When the rice is half done mix in masala paste, green chillies and vegetables, simmer (boil slowly at low temperature) till they are cooked.
6. In the meanwhile dal and rice will also be cooked.
7. Make a flavor by heating ghee mix in red chillies, bay leaves, garam masala and stir fry for a minute.
8. Stir in the flavor mixture into cooked khichuri.
9. Serve hot with pure ghee on top.