Use any fish. Small fish like Koi and tangra are particularly good.
Fish - ½ kg
Onions - 250 g
Tomatoes - 300 g
Turmeric - ½ tsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Green chillies - 6
Mustard oil - ½ cup
Salt - to taste
1. Finely chop the onions and tomatoes.
2. Mix the fish with all the ingredients, except the oil, and keep it covered for an hour.
3. Heat oil in a karahi. Add the fish along with the marinade.
4. Stir continually, when it starts to boil, cover and reduce heat.
5. Turn the fish over a few times; the fish should be cooked within 10 minutes. Take the fish out and reserve
6. Now, fry the onions and tomatoes. The whole mixture will start looking reddish in colour.
7. When the gravy dries and the oil floats on top, add the fish again. Mix carefully and remove.
8. It goes well with plain boiled rice.
Bangla Ranna: An Introduction to Bengali Cuisine: Satarupa Banerjee
Publisher: Orient Longman