Magur Maacher Kaliya
Magur Maacher Kaliya
In West Bengal catfish (known as Magur) is eaten as a favored delicacy during the monsoons. Catfish meat helps in blood purification. Catfish curry is consumed in these parts to promote faster recovery to patients suffering from fever or other ailments. Catfish Curry is renowned as "Magur Maacher Kaliya". Magur Maach is known as Catfish. This fish is very healthy. This recipe is so tasty and spicy; anybody can make this for their guests too in a pure Bengali Lunch Menu. This curry will be the most flavorful, if you are making this curry with live Catfish/Magur Maach.
Serves -4 Plates
Catfish/ Magur Maach - 1 medium size cut into steak size pieces with skin
Potato - 1 medium cut into chunks
Onion - 1 medium cut into chunks
Ginger - 1 tablespoon roughly chopped
Garlic - 2 to 3 cloves roughly chopped
Green chilies - 2 to 3 (adjust to your taste)
Tomato - 1 large cut into pieces
Turmeric powder - 1 tablespoon
Red chili powder - 1/2 teaspoon Or Adjust to your taste
Cumin powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Mustard oil - 4 tablespoons
Salt as per taste
Cinnamon stick - 1
Cloves - 4 to 5
Green Cardamom pods - 2 to 3
Ghee or Clarified butter - 1 teaspoon
1. Take the Catfish steaks in a bowl and add some salt and rub on the Catfish steaks for 5 minutes. Now wash them and marinate them with some salt and Turmeric powder and keep aside for 15 minutes.
2. Heat 3 tablespoons Mustard oil and fry the potatoes and keep them aside. Now fry the marinated steaks till golden brown and put onto paper towel.
3. Now make a smooth paste with Onion, Ginger, Garlic, Green chilies & Tomato pieces. In the remaining oil heat rest of the Mustard oil. Add the Whole Garam Masalas and fry till a nice aroma comes from them.
4. Add the Onion, Ginger, Garlic, Green Chili & Tomato paste to the oil and fry till the raw smell of the masala goes out. Add Turmeric, Red chili, Cumin powder to the pan and fry till oil start separating from the masala.
5. Now add the fried Potatoes & Fish Steaks to the masala of the pan and fry them too along with the masala for 5 minutes. Add 2 cups of water to the pan and cover the pan with a lid and let the curry cook on medium low heat for 15 minutes.
6. After 15 minutes open the lid and higher the oven for another 5 minutes. After 5 minutes turn off the oven, sprinkle some Ghee on the curry and serve hot with Steamed Rice.
7. Garnish Catfish Curry with handful of chopped cilantro and sprinkle some Clarified Butter/Ghee from the top and serve with Steamed Rice & Cucumber Salad.
Photo & Content: www.peekncook.com