1 cup Masoor Dal (Red Lentil)
4-5 cloves garlic, chopped (lahsun)
2 table-spoon Mustard oil
3 cup water
salt to taste
Herbs and Spices :
1/2 t-spoon cumin seeds (jeera)
1/2 t-spoon turmeric powdered (haldi)
2 whole Red Chillies (Khadi Lal Mirch)
1 Bay Leaf (Tej Patta)
1. Wash Masoor Dal 3-4 times with water. Pressure cook Dal with 4 cup water, turmeric and a pinch of salt, cook it over medium-high heat and pressure cook for about 15 mins. or until Bengali Dal gets tender. But don't over-boil it.
2. Now, for tempering, heat oil in a frying pan and put it over medium heat.
3. After a minute add cumin seeds, whole red chillies, bay leaf, garlic and fry on low flame for a minute, stirring continuously.
4. Add cooked Dal mixture and salt to the large frying pan and turn the heat to high, stir it well. When it starts boiling, turn the heat to low, cover the pan and cook further for 4-5 mins. so that Bengali Masoor dal gets little dissolved in a mixture.
5. Serve Bengali Masoor Dal hot with rice, pulao or roti.