Muri ghonto is a Bengali recipe made with fried fish head. 'Muri' is the Bengali term for head and 'ghanto' is the curry. This delicious fish recipe is a favourite in every Bengali household. The aroma of the myriad spices along with the head of the fish makes this dish nothing but heavenly.
Traditionally muri ghanto is prepared using a small amount of rice. But here is another version of this lip-smacking muri ghanto, Bengali recipe with cabbage. Muri ghanto tastes best when cooked with the head of the Rohu fish or the Ilish fish found in Bengal. This unique and delightful muri ghanto, Bengali recipe gives a whole new dimension to the way one eats fish.
So, sit on a leisurely afternoon, prepare muri ghanto and relish this special Bengali recipe in style.
Serves 3-4 people.
Cabbage- 1 (small, shredded)
Fish head- 1 (large)
Onion- 1 (chopped)
Ginger paste- 1tbsp
Turmeric powder- 1tsp
Cumin powder- 3tsp
Red chilli powder- 1tsp
Garam masala powder- 1tsp
Cumin seeds- 1tsp
Bay leaf- 1
Salt- as per taste
Sugar- ½ tsp
Mustard oil- 4tbsp
1. Clean and wash the fish head properly with water. Marinate the fish head with salt and turmeric powder. Keep it aside for 10 minutes.
2. Heat two tablespoon of oil in a pan and fry the fish head on all the sides.
3. Once the head turns golden brown on all sides, remove it from the pan and keep it aside.
4. Heat two tablespoon of oil and add cumin seeds, bay leaf and fry for about a minute.
5. Add chopped onions and fry for 3-4 minutes on medium flame.
6. Add ginger paste and saute for a minute.
7. Now add the shredded cabbage, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder and salt. Mix well.
8. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for about 7-8 minutes on low flame.
9. After that, remove the lid and add the fried fish head. Mix well.
10. Again cover with a lid and cook for about 10 minutes on low flame. Stir at regular intervals.
11. Sprinkle a little water if needed.
12. Add garam masala and mix well. Cook for another 5 minutes on medium flame.
12. Once the fish head gets completely cooked, break it into small pieces with the spatula you are using to stir the food.
13. Switch off the flame and serve.