Parwals (Snake gourd) - 12
Mustard oil - 1 cup
For the Stuffing :
Grated coconut - ¾ cup
Grated khoya - ½ cup
Grated ginger - 1 tsp
Green chillies – 2
Sugar - ½ tsp
Salt - ¼ tsp
Raisins – 12
Chopped cashewnuts - 2 tbsp
1. Mix all the ingredients for the stuffing together. Keep aside.
2. Wash and peel the parwals at intervals.
3. Make a slit in the middle of each parwal keeping the stem ends intact.
4. With a clean hairpin or the back of a spoon, take out the pith and seeds and discard.
5. Divide the stuffing into 12 portions and stuff one portion into each parwal.
6. Do not stuff too tightly, leave a little space. The filling will expand during frying.
7. Secure the opening of the parwals with thread.
8. Heat oil in a karahi. Fry parwals in two batches, till done. Serve hot.
9. Any other stuffing, like keema, prawns, fish or paneer may be used.
10. You may even prepare a gravy and pour it over the fried parwals.
Bangla Ranna: An Introduction to Bengali Cuisine: Satarupa Banerjee
Publisher: Orient Longman