Full cream milk - 2 lts
Sugar - 1/4 cup (for a sweeter taste you add another 1 to 2 tbsps)
Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
Saffron - 7-8 strands (soaked in 2 tbsps of warm milk)
Pistachios - fistful
Almonds - 7-8, blanched and peeled
Kewra essence or Rose water - few drops (optional)
1. Sliver the blanched almonds, chop the pistachios and set aside.
2. Boil milk in a large heavy bottomed wide vessel on high flame. Once it comes to a boil, reduce flame to low and allow to simmer. Every 3 to 4 mts, push the top layer of malai (top of milk) that forms on the top towards the sides of the vessel. Continue to do this till the milk is reduced to less than half of the original quantity.
3. Keep scraping the sides of the vessel and combine it with the thickening milk.
4. After almost 1 1/2 hours, the milk would have reduced considerably to a thick mass. Add sugar and half of the chopped nuts and mix. Allow the sugar to dissolve and continue to simmer the mixture till it reaches a third of the original quantity. Add cardamom powder, rose water and saffron and mix well.
5. Turn off flame and allow to come to room temperature. Remove to a serving bowl. Garnish with the remaining chopped nuts and saffron strands.
6. Ladle into serving bowls and serve warm. You can even chill the rabdi and serve it chilled.