1 cup all purpose flour (Maida)
Water to Knead dough
1/4th tsp. ajwain (optional)
3-4 Potatoes (boiled, peeled & mashed)
1/2 cup Green Peas (boiled)
1-2 Green Chilies (finely chopped)
1/2 tsp Ginger (crushed)
1 tbsp coriander finely chopped
Few chopped Cashews (optional)
Few Raisins (optional)
1/2 tsp Garam masala
Salt to taste
Red chili powder to taste
1/2 tsp. Dry Mango powder(Amchur)(optional)
1. Mix all the ingredients (salt, oil, ajwain) except water.
2. Add a little water at a time.
3. Pat and knead well for several times into a soft pliable dough.
For Stuffing :
1. In a bowl add mashed potatoes and all dry masalas (salt, chili powder, mango powder
2. garam masala) and green chilles, ginger and Mix well.
3. Add green peas, cashews and raisins and mix well.
4. Add coriander and keep aside.
To Proceed :
1. Make small rolls of dough and roll it into a 4"-5" diameter circle.
2. Cut it into two parts like semi-circle.
3. Now take one semi circle and fold it like a cone. Use water while doing so.
4. Place a spoon of filling in the cone and seal the third side using a drop of water.
5. Heat oil in a kadhai and deep fry till golden brown (fry on a medium flame).
6. Serve samosa hot with hari chutney, tamarind chutney.
Bangla Ranna: An Introduction to Bengali Cuisine: Satarupa Banerjee
Publisher: Orient Longman